About NYK


Nippon Yusen Kabushiki Kaisha is one of the world's leading transportation companies. At the end of March 2017, the NYK Group was operating 799 major ocean vessels, as well as fleets of planes and trucks. The company's shipping fleet includes 372 bulk carriers, 111 car carriers, 97 containerships (including semi-containerships), 70 LNG carriers (including those owned by equity method affiliates), 63 tankers, 43 wood-chip carriers, one cruise ship, and 42 other ships (including multipurpose and project cargo vessels). NYK's revenue in fiscal 2016 exceeded $17 billion, and as a group NYK employs about 36,000 people worldwide. NYK is based in Tokyo and has regional headquarters in London, New York, Singapore, Hong Kong, and Sao Paulo.





1893   Japan-India Liner service between Kobe and Bombay was established.
          1st Vessel to load/discharge at Bombay - M.V. Hiroshima Maru (2nd).

1911   Commenced Calcutta Liner service.

1992   Tata NYK Transport Systems Ltd. was incorporated as a 50:50 JV between NYK Tokyo and Tata Tea Ltd.

1993   Commenced operations as agents for NYK Line.

2001   NYK increased its share holding to 90% and the remaining 10% was retained by TATA Tea Ltd.

2003   Name of the company was changed to NYK Line (India) Ltd.

2008   NYK increased Share Holding to 100%.

2015   Company name changed from NYK Line (India) Ltd., to NYK Line (India) Pvt. Ltd.


Short Cuts